Through the gentlemanly courtesy of Mr. M. Bixley, the Companies foreman, we were shown the drawings of the truly mamoth structure as drawn by their architect. G. W. Osborn. The building was christened in honor cf A. A. Talmage, General Manager of the Missouri Pacific Railway, and is in every way worthy the name of this notied financier.
The building is three stories high has a 74 foot front on Park Avenue, and 86 foot fronting Place Park. The material used in its construction is pressed brick of the best quality. It has 105 windows, 10 main entrances, and is supported by 14 massive iron columns of the Doric pattern, besides numerous pilasters. The entire structure is ornamented with beautiful galvanized iron cornice including window caps, etc. The inside frame work protrays extraordinary mechanical genius by being so constructed that should the walls give way (which is not at all probable) the interior would remain immovable. The second story will be surrounded by 160 feet of iron balcony, while the entire front on Park Avenue is to be of the heaviest plante glass. The Talmage House is by far the largest and best arranged house in the South-west and is the pride of our young and growing city.
FROM WESTERN ENTERPRISE—Dec. 30, 1881 The Talmage House named after A. A. Talmage, who is held in high esteem by Rich Hill people, is one of the toniest of about fifty new buildings that have lately sprung up. The structure was erected by the Town Company at a cost of §15,000. It is Delightfully located, with its southern exposure on Park Avenue—a street 100 feet wide—and its western windows looking out upon one of the public parks. It will be surrounded on two sides by a concrete pavement. It will probably be opened by a grand ball, which will truly be an elegant affair. The house will soon be furinshed with guests, the family of the Town Company's president to be included. After the Talmage is filled, it is expected that house room will be scarce, so rapidly is this section of country growing.
A landmark of Rich Hill, past into history this last week, or at least changed it's appearance. The above excerpts were from old Rich Hill or county papers in 1881 when the grand hotel was just being constructed. Plans are to take off the two top floors, as can be seen in the pictures, and remodel the bottom floor.
The hotel will be done in a Spanish decor, with a balcony on the inside. Plans right now are for the Brockmens to live there, plus several nice apartments available. An antique shop will be housed on the north side of the front section of the building. One of C. E. Brockman's daughters will also open a studio to teach dance classes.
Brockman works in Harrisonville as a railroad depot agent. He has hired some local men to do the work on the destruction of the top floors. Plans are tentative and Mrs. Brockman said they would change as the need arose.