Thursday, December 11, 2008

History of the Rich Hill Lions Club

The history of the Rich Hill Lions Clubs dates back to 1933, when the first club was chartered by Lions Clubs International, to a group of business men of the community.Richard Trefts, president of the newly organized Security Bank, served as the first president of the original club. Those serving as vice presidents were J. Ward Claypool, 1st vice, John Under­wood, 2nd vice, Joe Klumpp, 3rd vice. Flavy Wieks was Tail Twister, Frank Koentz, secretary and Tom Phillips, treasurer.Besides the many services rendered to the community, this club was known for their Lions Minstrels presented locally and at surrounding communities, featuring the talents of Margaret Crabb, Harvey Robinson, Martin and Herman, Eteil Johnson, Delmar Mc-Combs, John and Pauline Underwood, Paul Hanna, George Dowell, the Lacy girls trio (Norma, Dorothy and Doris) among others.In the late thirties this Lions Club sponsored and charted the Butler Lions Club. In the early 1940's, due to World War II and other circumstances, the original Lions Club was disbanded.
New Charter of 1957

Charter members of the Rich Hill Lions Club - Hubert Barnes, Dr. Tho­mas Boyd, Jim Brooks, Shirley Booth, Bill Christopher, Keith Davis, Lowell Davis, Joseph Emery, Earl Evans, Jon Ferguson, Marshall Gordon, Wilson W. Gordon, Henry Hartman, Rev. Dean Hay, Marvin Hurst, Edward Kenney, Harold Kenney, Hubert Kienberger, Norman LaFollett, Stnaley Lebow, Ed­win Link, L. W. McElroy, Fred Marquardt, Ronald Marquardt, Marion Moreland, D. Francis Sawyer, Curtis Stewart, Robert Tracy, Raymond Mor­gan, John Robertson, Jr., Dixon Pal­mer, Robert Watson, Alan Wheatley,and Kirby Whitley of May 27,1957.

No comments: