Lutheran Church History-from the book the Town that Coal Built
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized November 21, 1883 in a boarding house operated by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Cane. Some of the early members were Fred Cane, John Klumpp, August Elgert, Joseph Ochsner, Frank Yarick, John Farrer, Wm. Fritz, John Marquardt, Albert Kleiwin and H. Schwamb.
Most of these German Lutherans settled in the North part of town. Probably, so as to be closer to their work in the mines to the North and Northwest of town and the smelter.
Rev. Niederwimmer was the first Pastor. Their first church was several blocks North of the present church. The membership grew every year, and they outgrew the small church building which was also used for parochial school. During that time they bought land from Robinson for a cemetery, also bought 2 lots on the southeast corner of 4th and Chestnut. They bought the present church building from the Methodist Church, and moved it to the west lot in 1890. In 1892 they moved the little church to the east lot, and added on 2 large rooms in the front of it. This building served as the parsonage, and the back part as the schoolroom.
We celebrated our 50th anniversary in 1932, Arthur Schardt was pastor then. The last resident pastor here was Edward Haferman. He left in 1942. In 1957 we celebrated our 75th anniversary. Rev. Ritterling was our pastor and also of Nevada St. Paul Lutheran Church. The parsonage was rented until 1971 and is still used as a "get-to-gather" place for the congregation. The ladies of the church also use it to meet in.
Richmond Anderson of Kansas City is our present pastor. We have services the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Sundays from the 1st of March through December. Time is 8:30 A.M., as he also serves the Nevada St. Paul Church, after our services.