Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Help I.D. Picture

In trying to identify a family picture that was taken in Rich Hill, MO I seen the Rich Hill History blog.  I have a picture that says it was taken at Van Voorhis in Rich Hill, MO.  This is some of my family but I do not know who they are.  Do you put pictures on the blog for people to identify?  I would like to put this picture on if possible. I do not know when it was taken - probably late 1800's.  It could be from a Dudley family or Walker family.  Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Thank you.
M. Reed



1 comment:

Vicki Campbell Barge said...

I too have a family photo with this photographer. I did some research on Vanhooris a while back - maybe this will help you - kind of a timeline.
William Ray Van Voohis – born in New York 1865 the 1883 Rich Hill Directory – he is not listed.
1888-1890 Rich Hill Directory – listed as photographer
Checked census – found him(Miami and Linn Co are across the state line close to Rich Hill)
1880 Stanton, Miami Co., KS -Willie R. VanVoorhis age 15- living with his father (Alonzo E.) and mother Jane. His father is listed as a farmer. In 1870 & 1873 they were apparently in Iowa - brothers Charles and Jesse were born in Iowa according to census.
1885 Kansas Census- Stanton, Miami Co., KS –living with parents age 19 (must have started business after this)So sometime after 1885 VanVoorhis set up shop in Rich Hill as a photographer
1900 - Rich Hill, Bates Co., MO - listed as William R Van Voorhis (age 35) photographer - married to Rosa.
1910 - Rich Hill Ward 2, Bates, Missouri – W.R. VanVorhis – photographer – owns gallery.
1920- Potosi, Linn, Kansas – W. R. Van Voorhis- photographer – manager.
1930 - Rich Hill, Bates, Missouri- Will Van Voorhis – photographer – general line.
1940- Rich Hill, Bates, MO – William R. VanVoorhis- proprietor – Photography