Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Rich Hill tribune., May 19, 1910 {Class of 1910}

The Rich Hill tribune., May 19, 1910  {Class of !910}
Commencement Exercises
The commencement  exercises of the graduating class of the Rich Hill School for 1910 was held at the opera house last night and was a success in every particular. 
A large crowd witnessed the performance of the play "The Professor"and the manner in which it was produced reflect great credit  both on the Students and their director Mr. Beninsley.
     The Valedictory and Salutatory addressed were well gotten up and excellently delivered.The music was beautiful and the class address  very interesting and taken all together we believe that in the annals of Rich Hill High School history,the class of 1910 will long be looked upon as a banner class.  


Looking at the Car's ,I would say sometime in the 1940's

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church History

 Lutheran Church History-from the book the Town that Coal Built
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized November 21, 1883 in a boarding house operated by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Cane. Some of the early members were Fred Cane, John Klumpp, August Elgert, Joseph Ochsner, Frank Yarick, John Farrer, Wm. Fritz, John Marquardt, Albert Kleiwin and H. Schwamb.
Most of these German Lutherans settled in the North part of town. Probably, so as to be closer to their work in the mines to the North and Northwest of town and the smelter.
Rev. Niederwimmer was the first Pastor. Their first church was several blocks North of the present church. The membership grew every year, and they outgrew the small church building which was also used for parochial school. During that time they bought land from Robinson for a cemetery, also bought 2 lots on the southeast corner of 4th and Chestnut. They bought the present church building from the Methodist Church, and moved it to the west lot in 1890. In 1892 they moved the little church to the east lot, and added on 2 large rooms in the front of it. This building served as the parsonage, and the back part as the schoolroom.

We celebrated our 50th anniversary in 1932, Arthur Schardt was pastor then. The last resident pastor here was Edward Haferman. He left in 1942. In 1957 we celebrated our 75th anniversary. Rev. Ritterling was our pastor and also of Nevada St. Paul Lutheran Church. The parsonage was rented until 1971 and is still used as a "get-to-gather" place for the congregation. The ladies of the church also use it to meet in.
Richmond Anderson of Kansas City is our present pastor. We have services the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Sundays from the 1st of March through December. Time is 8:30 A.M., as he also serves the Nevada St. Paul Church, after our services.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The ORDINANCE where the Lutheran Church turned over the cemetery to the City of Rich Hill - October 1961

0692 – Lutheran Cemetery

BE IT ORDAINED by the Council of the City of Rich Hill, Missouri, as follows:
Section 1:  The Mayor of the City of Rich Hill, Bates County, Missouri, for and on behalf of said city is hereby authorized to enter into the following contract for the acquisition of certain land for cemetery purposes:
     THIS AGREEMENT, made and entered into this 1st day of October, 1961, by and between the LUTHERAN CHURCH of Rich Hill, Missouri, First Party, and CITY OF RICH HILL, Bates County, Missouri, Second Party, WITNESS:  that,
     WHEREAS, First Party is the owner of the following described real estate in Bates County, Missouri, known as the Lutheran Cemetery, to-wit:
Beginning at a point 27 Rods 1’6” East of the Southwest corner of Section 6, Township 38, Range 31, (otherwise described as the Southeast corner of the Catholic Cemetery) running thence East 307 feet, more or less, to a fence thence North 280 feet, thence West 307 feet, more or less, to a point directly North of the place of beginning thence South 280 feet to the point of beginning; and,
WHEREAS, the members of the Lutheran Church of Rich Hill, Missouri, recognize that maintenance of such cemetery will become a serious problem in the future; and,
     WHEREAS, the City of Rich Hill, Missouri, has a need for additional burial grounds;
      It is, therefore, agreed, as follows:
      The Lutheran Church Council of the Lutheran Church of Rich Hill, Missouri, shall convey to the City of Rich Hill the property above described as a burial ground. Second Party agrees that it will restore all existing graves and stones in such area and will permanently maintain the entire cemetery above referred to.
     It is further agreed that the tract immediately west of the present driveway in such cemetery, being otherwise described as:
 Beginning at a point 507 feet East of the Southwest corner of Section 6, Township 38, Range 31, running thence North 164 feet, thence East 84 feet, thence South 164 feet, thence West to the point of beginning,
Shall be reserved for burial by members of the Rich Hill Lutheran Church and their families.
     Proceeds from the sale of lots reserved for Lutheran burials in the paragraph last above shall go to the Rich Hill Lutheran Church, but such church will abide by all the existing practices of the cemetery.
     It is further understood and agreed that many lots for burial have heretofore been sold By First Party and that any dispute as to the ownership of any lost previously sold, or alleged to be previously sold, will be resolved by First Party.
     It is further understood and agreed that all expenses in connection with this contract and the conveyance here under shall be assumed by Second Party.
     IN WITNESS WHEREOF, First Party has caused this contract to be signed in its behalf by the Lutheran Church Council of the Lutheran Church of Rich Hill, Missouri, and Second Party has caused this contract to be signed by its duly authorized Mayor the day and year first above written.
Fred Marquardt
John Denayer
Lawrence Denayer-Lutheran Church Council

Marvin Hurst-Mayor

Lily White-City Clerk

     Section 2.  This Ordinance shall be in effect from and after its passage and approval.
     Read three times and passed this 10 day of October 1961.
Marvin Hurst-Mayor
Lily White-City Clerk

Approved this 10th day of October 1961
Marvin Hurst